Friday, January 29, 2010

Video Game Epiphanies




Long ago I had a boyfriend who loved video games.  It's not that he was a nerd or something, he just found it a nice release from the stresses of college, working and a bitchy girlfriend. (me).  I was pretty condescending in my self righteous way.  I thought playing video games was a waste of time, and I was pretty vocal about it.  (Have I ever mentioned I am opinionated?)  I couldn't understand why someone would want to spend that kind of time toying around with it.  I watched my dad and brother growing up playing Asteroids on the Atari, they would spend hours getting so far in the game, and then when they run out of lives they would have to start back at the beginning.  I, on the other hand, was the kind of girl who read classics for the fun of it, went to plays and played board games and cards.  Can you hear the snot in me?  I wasn't and still am not the kind of girl who watches hours of TV.  The longer that box is off the better!

Over the years I have come to a video game epiphany.  They really aren't that bad.  When the boys were little and their daddy worked nights, I would play Mario for hours.  I'm sure I could have been doing something a little more productive like scrubbing bathrooms and laundry, but that stuff got done, too.  I became pro at that game and found most of the secrets.  It kept me company...Now years later, my boys are playing Mario on the Wii.  It's fun to watch them look for the same secrets and enjoy it as much as I had.  I still love playing Mario, though I don't spend hours doing it.  Bejeweled is my new love and there is no denying that one, it's the gospel truth... 


9 comments:

  1. It's not the worst thing in the world to have a game that you enjoy playing.

    However, there still is something about grown men who play games on a regular basis that seems really wasteful. I'm grateful my husband does not get the appeal of video games either and he never plays them, ever. Our kids do sometimes but they do so many other things as well that I don't worry about it. To each his own, I suppose. Glad you have some fun moments with your sons! Oh, and I spent about 3 weeks once enjoying Bejeweled, it was fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I had to laugh at this, because since getting the PS3, my husband has been playing for hours a day. I was sooo mad last night when he didn't come to bed when he said he was going to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehehe. I'm a closet video game lover. I completely suck at them, but it is fun to try. I'm a complete looser at the Wii, but hey, it's video, plus movement! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love bejeweled! I also love nintendo though...hence the reason Lance won't let me get a wii...he doesn't want me to lose my life to that "time suck" ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm somewhere in the middle of the road with video games. They are fun and some of the new ones even get you up and moving. But for the most part I think video games are best in small doses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a big fan of video games. I am already a football season widow, thank you very much. (Oh, wait, now it's basketball season. Shoot.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Growing up, I only enjoyed Super Mario Bros and never got addicted to the stuff. And nowadays video games are so confusing to me, I don't even bother. But I did get my Wii connected last night and finally tried it out! I liked that the sports games were nice and simple to play. Just my kind of game!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom played video games with us. She loved the N64's Mario Bro games. And now I play the wii with my hubby and boys. Its fun to hear the hub's brag to his friends that his wife plays video games. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stopping by from SITS

    I used to hate video games too, until someone introduced me to The Sims, now I'm hooked.

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear from you! Comments make my day, just please keep them uplifting and positive. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...