Friday, January 22, 2010

What is it with...


...Teenagers and cellphones?! Why can't they have them for more than three months without breaking them? Seriously, are my boys clutzes or what? How can you miss your pocket that many times? My dearly beloved number one son, TJ, approached me recently and complained that his phone wasn't working, and I needed to get him an upgrade. I'm sure he was stressing about missing a highly important text that might read something like, "k" or "brb" or "gr8". I mean, I wouldn't want to miss something so important. Looking him in the eye I smiled and handed him my phone. It was done he was upgraded. I've had my phone for over two years. I've only dropped it a couple of times, it still works and looks good, too. He was actually quite excited and quickly went to work on changing over his stuff.

I was liberated and free from technology. No more phone, no more leash. I was no longer tethered to that cell.  I went shopping without fear of getting calls from helpless children who can't find the peanut butter or want permission to eat Top Ramen. I wanted to scream out at the top of my lungs, "I'M FREE!!!" My euphoria over my new found freedom slowly diminished as I drove around town. I was suddenly feeling quite lonely and cut off. I felt guilty without letting my dh aware of my whereabouts."I'm out spending money!" " I think I'll get lunch!" It's courteous,it's just how we roll . I almost felt sneaky. So I drug my butt down to the ATandT store and got myself a new phone. My Christmas gift to me...Then I got KT one, too, because, yes, I am that kind of wife.

Truth be told...Why should the kid who broke his phone be rewarded with a new one?  I selfishly just wanted a new one for myself.  Feel free to nominate me for Mother of the Year Award...

13 comments:

  1. LOL. Actually, we have a policy at our house that if the kids want a cell phone they have to pay for the phone and the contract themselves ... the ENTIRE contract up front. If they go cricket, they still need to have a year up front. Our 11 year-old has so far saved $190 so she is half way there. She has also realized that she doesn't care if the phone is fancy one bit as long as it can text.
    My husband has an i-phone that his company pays for. I have a very simple phone. It's one thing I personally don't want to spend any money on.
    But we must really go against the flow because everyone else we know has fancy phones and so do their kids. It's a cultural phenomenon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha...I would have done the same thing. I must say that I fell guilty of treating my phone so badly in college. I think it was dropped numerous times, into a puddle, and finally through the wash. Didn't make it through the last incident. But finally i treat my phones with love, because like you said, I feel alone with out them. (And yes..them...TWO phones. One personal and one work phone is with me at all times!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I drop my phone all the time. Poor thing...it's very hardy. Kids...gotta love 'em.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't have a landline, so when I've left my cell phone at work, or couldn't find it, I feel SOOOOO isolated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 15 year old doesn't have insurance on his phone and it's a good phone. If he breaks it, he knows he's replacing it. And the phone companies only help you out when you're going into a new contract, phones are like, over $200. Crazy.

    I don't think I would know what to do if I didn't have my phone... I wish I could share in your experience.

    Here from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are too nice. My daughter has an old reject phone of mine, and I refuse to let her upgrade. She is still too young to text, but we gave her the phone for 'safety' reasons. At least you got a new phone out of it. SWEET! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have a land line. We switched to cell phones five years ago and I'm never going back. I love technology!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopping by from SITS. Oh my word, I am a high school teacher and my pain is slightly different. Kids are SO obsessed w/ them. It is like they don't know what to do w/o them...will find any way to sneak a peak at any time. Grrr! I wish some of theirs would break! My fiance doesn't have a cell phone nor does he want one. I guess it is possible to survive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you are just being smart. Besides, kids need to learn that life rewards you more when you are an adult!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Saturday Sharefest! I don't know what I would do without my cell. Probably feel totally isolated!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you totally deserve the mother of the year award. as will i when i hand over my current phone to my daughter... 10 years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I both hate and love cell phones. My kids don't break them, but they do abuse the privilege.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL, you are sooo funny! I nominate you!! I abuse my phone so badly. But, I don't get the top of the line phone either, so I don't feel so badly.

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear from you! Comments make my day, just please keep them uplifting and positive. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...