Friday, February 24, 2012

I Pressed Submit


The last month has been a whirlwind of activity where Miguel is concerned.  He would like to serve a religious mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  In order to apply, there are interviews to be had, doctors appointments, dentists appointments, insurance companies to call and a plethora of paperwork to fill out online.

There are many that say LDS people lead a sheltered life or life in a "bubble".  I'm here to say that this is simply not true.  I myself, try to look at life with humor and a cheery attitude.  I've said many times when something has gone wrong, "It could have been worse".  Does that make us sheltered?  I say, no, it makes me more positive.  I tell you this because one of the hardest things an LDS Mama can do is send her child off on a mission.  It is up to the discretion of the church where he will serve.  Montana? Florida?  Africa? Brazil? Mexico? Japan?  The destinations are only bound, of course, by PLANET EARTH.  While a missionary is gone, he can e-mail home once a week and is allowed two phone calls home per year:  Mother's Day and Christmas.  This is not a punishment, but to help keep them on track and to help alleviate homesickness.  I remember being off at college, when I was homesick and called home, it actually only made it worse...

So the other day Miguel and I finished up his paperwork online, and he quickly ran upstairs to play Xbox or some other thing against his brother in Albuquerque.  As I sat there staring at the computer screen, I began to panic, to sweat, to shake.  It was up to me to click the button on the computer which would send his final application off for his religious mission.  In that moment, I remembered a little boy...and now a man...


I sent one son off last year, Military Man, that was hard enough letting one son go.  But, now it is time to  send number two son off, and I AM NOT READY!  I said a silent prayer, closed my eyes and clicked submit.

If you'd like to learn more about an LDS Mission, 
I wrote a post here some time ago or you can go here.    

4 comments:

  1. How exciting and scary all at the same time! I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear where Miguel will serve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mormons are so varied in their circumstances and personalities. Everyone in life has their little bubble, no matter what they believe in. Your sons are very brave to go out into the world and serve. It is the best step they can take to becoming men. And yet I know it's hard to let them go! You are a good Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think everyone on this planet earth lives in a bubble of their choosing and design...some are healthier and more positive than others. As for sending off our children to missions--it is so exciting and so hard at the same time. And so absolutely perfect! My oldest two have served and we're readying to send one more soon. It takes alot of faith to be out of arm's reach of a child, but my o my that's when they learn to run! Well done, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that must have been hard! How do you look back on it now that we're in a new year and he's been serving for some time?

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear from you! Comments make my day, just please keep them uplifting and positive. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...