Thursday, October 15, 2009

The roar of the wind


The other night it was very windy.  I really don't like wind much as I feel very unsettled and nervous when the wind is blowing.  It doesn't bother me so much during the day as I have things to distract me, but night is a different story.  Lying in bed I couldn't sleep.  The wind was like the roar of a wild beast outside my window.  My wind chimes that usually have a pleasant tinkling were banging around most annoyingly.  The over sized willow in my front yard was bending and groaning with the weight of the wind, and I heard the snap and crack as branches were breaking off.  God's natural pruning...Even with my ear plugs in I could still hear the monstrous noises made by the air gusting around.  I visualized the roof ripping off like OZ, which really isn't so far fetched.  Several years ago I came home during a windstorm to find my 14 year old laying across the two story roof spread out trying to hold down huge chunks of roofing.  It wasn't the roofing that worried me so much as the 14 year old blowing off of the roof.  We have since replaced the roof for not a small amount, so I should rest easy.  But, I don't.

When I was a girl it didn't bother me as much. I remember my dad pacing the house during storms.  When asked why, he said storms just made him nervous.  I understand now as a parent and homeowner.  I worry about the willow crashing down into the house or a branch breaking off and blowing through Ladybug's window.  I worry about the roof blowing off again.  With my stomach tied up in nots, I decided to surf in the internet.  Did you know that there is a wind phobia?  Yup, there is...it is Ancraophobia- Fear of wind. (Anemophobia).  So there you have it, I have yet another thing that pushes me just a little bit closer to crazy. 




5 comments:

  1. I love storms. However the mere thought of a visit to the dentist is enough to make me throw up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy is good! The other night my parents had the cops searching for intruders in the condo complex where they live. The wind had been pushing the tree branches against a single woman's window and she was scared to death. I can understand the fear...too many unknowns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea! My husband is scared of thunder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You would only be the fun kind of crazy, the crazy that people like being around :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good storm as long as I am inside. I love to lay in bed and listen to the howling wind and rain.

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear from you! Comments make my day, just please keep them uplifting and positive. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...