Friday, October 12, 2012

31 Days of Faith {The Cross}





This is in follow up to this post. Sometimes members of other faiths ask why we won't put crosses on our churches and wear them around our necks. This has to do with the emphasis we put on the atonement and resurrection. The crucifixion was the means to the end by which the latter was accomplished.

I do not wish to demean the sacredness of the cross as it is very important to Christians of other faiths. I merely wish to point out reasons for our beliefs. I asked a dear friend once, why we don't put more emphasis on the cross. She said it is just a symbol with negative meaning to her. She then went on to say, "If your brother was killed with a gun, would you hang a gun in your church or around your neck?" While her answer was a little extreme, it made sense to me...A better answer came from and LDS Prophet, Gordon B. Hinkley. He said, “But for us, the cross is the symbol of the dying Christ, while our message is a declaration of the Living Christ.”

**I am not an official spokesman for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  
If you would like to learn more about our views on Christ, go here.**

3 comments:

  1. Very well put Lisa! I love that quote by Gordon B. Hinckley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wear a crucifix and a miraculous medal around my neck. to me, they help me remember what Jesus had to go to before the resurrection, and i too should take up my cross to get to heaven. Mary reminds me to keep the faith even when nothing makes sense and points me to her son.

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear from you! Comments make my day, just please keep them uplifting and positive. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...