Tuesday, October 9, 2012

31 Days of Faith {We Believe 2...}


We believe that men will be punished for their own sins 
and not for Adam's transgressions...

Many religions believe in "original sin". Meaning that in order to be cleansed from the sins of Adam and Eve an infant must be baptized. Since we don't believe we are accountable for a sin committed by someone else, babies are born into this world fresh from the arms of their Father in Heaven in full innocence.  Therefore, we do not believe in infant baptism or in "original sin.".  Instead we bless our babies at a couple of months old asking for blessings from the Lord be upon them.




Holding a new born infant in my arms in all their innocence just confirms my belief in this second tenet of the LDS church. The Lord is merciful and I believe would not require them to obtain such an ordinance at such a helpless age.  I had someone tell me once, from another faith, that if I didn't get my babies baptized soon after birth, and they died, they would go to hell.  Holding my sweet baby with tears in my eyes, I knew they were wrong. That just never sat right with me.  I know my Father is a merciful and loving God.  


**I am not a spokesman for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, but the following information comes from an official church website on the topic of infant baptism**

"Immersion is symbolic of the death of a person’s sinful life and the rebirth into a spiritual life, dedicated to the service of God and His children. It is also symbolic of death and resurrection. (SeeRomans 6:3-6) Little children are redeemed through the mercy of Jesus Christ. They are “alive in Christ” and cannot sin. They do not need baptism until they understand the difference between right and wrong"


3 comments:

  1. I am fascinated with the religious beliefs of others..passed this on to my kids, my son is taking an advanced study in Islam in college this semester...lots to talk and think about..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not believe in a God who makes innocent babies burn in hell because someone else did not perform an ordinance for them, which they have no presence of mind to understand or accept. I also do not believe in a God who would make ANYONE burn in hell for not accepting a gospel which they never had the chance to heal. I'm very grateful for doctrine that teaches that all people will eventually, whether in life or after death, have an opportunity to learn of the gospel plan and accept or not accept it for themselves. I am grateful for doctrine which teaches that little children are alive in Christ because they are not capable of being accountable. I am grateful for doctrine that places the burden of sin upon those who knowingly commit it; and I am grateful for a gospel which teaches the tender mercies of Jesus Christ in repentance. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear from you! Comments make my day, just please keep them uplifting and positive. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...