Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Mothers are Smart Cookies

In light of the fact that Mother's Day is coming up, I thought I would share some sound advice I've received from my mom.  I don't often talk about my mom on  my blog.  Maybe it's because she is so much like me or I am like her, or perhaps it is because she avoids photographs like the plague leaving me nothing to blog about.  The one thing about my mom is she is ALWAYS right.  There is no arguing it, even if I am right.  I have learned that relationships are more important than being right.  However, when I was a young woman preparing to get married and start my own home, she gave me some advice that has stuck with me.  It is been tried and proven by me so I am, therefore, passing it on to you, and it is RIGHT.


#1 Always make your bed.  I was like, are you serious?  Because when I first got married I was kind of housekeeping lazy.  I liked a clean home, I just didn't want to be the one to do it.  She said even if you have a layer of dust, that made bed will make your room look put together.  She even suggested starting to make it before even getting out of bed...pulling up the covers, smoothing and straightening.  Then, just slip out and put on the finishing touches.  I'm addicted to a made bed now.  When I have over slept and don't have time, I have been known to come home in the afternoon and still make my bed even though I will by messing it up just a few hours later.  I'm pretty much obsessive about it.


#2  Never clean your kitchen first.  Her words..."You'll never leave".  It's true!  I can remember as a young mom how often I was getting snacks and drinks and meals...It was like I never did leave.  If I start my cleaning in the bedroom and work my way out, then more of the house gets clean.  My goal is to always go to bed with a clean kitchen so I'm not tempted to start there in the morning in the first place.  Who wants to wake up to crusty dishes anyway?


Source - and definitely NOT my mess

#3  Wash as you cook.  While I'm cooking, I wash dishes as I go.  I try to always have a sink full of soapy water ready to wash the prep bowl or that utensil.  When dinner is done, I might have a pot or two, then rinse and load the dishwasher.  This has been especially helpful with holiday meals.

I'm grateful to my mom for the things she taught me.  She might have thought I wasn't listening at the time, but I definitely was learning from the best.



Follow on Bloglovin

10 comments:

  1. I've never been a diligent bed-maker. In fact, I can't say I'm a diligent housekeeper, but your mom's ideas are doable and I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to every single one!! I don't always do them but I know your mother is right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that! I actually do the making the bed before I'm out of it thing!! And she's certainly right about the kitchen, but I am compelled to start there! It is the one room in the house I can't stand to see messy, so it actually gets me motivated to move on to the rest (sometimes).
    Your mom sounds fantastic! You obviously followed in her footsteps. ;) Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wash as I cook; I learned that one from my Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the advice...and I never realized why I am stuck in the kitchen!!! oh my gosh!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband once told me after an argument, "You always think you're right!"

    I paused and thought about this and then said, I thought quite logically, "well of course. Why would I be arguing with you if I didn't think I was right?"

    ;) Mom's advice is always good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have found that if my bed is made, I am happy. I don't know why really, but doing that one little thing feels like I have taken the time to take care of my personal space. That, and never leaving dishes in the sink overnight, keeps me sane. I hate waking up feeling like I'm already behind!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smart lady. It is so true, that an unmade bed calls attention to itself AND all its untidy friends. I hadn't heard it put so clearly though, and that'll help me those days that I think, "Is it worth it, really?" (I'm full-term pregnant and sometimes making the bed seems like it is just too. much. HA!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the list, but not very good at making the bed. Everything else is great, just not the actual bed... never mastered that I guess! I am all about going to bed with a CLEAN kitchen!

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear from you! Comments make my day, just please keep them uplifting and positive. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...