Monday, December 7, 2009

Dancing in the Rain



While living in the "arm pit" of America, aka Yuma, Arizona, I saw it rain once.  To have a cloudy day was a rarity, but for it to open up and rain was most peculiar.  It was like the heavens opened and dumped on us.  A sudden downpour, a gulley washer.  In most places, the rain cools things down, but the temperature remained the same, HOT.  I took my 18 month old TJ outside to witness such a miracle while leaving 3 month old Miguel in his crib to nap.  The rain was bathwater warm.  Friends and neighbors began to emerge from their homes, too.  We laughed, and danced.  We ran and jumped in puddles.  Our clothing was soaked through.  I threw my arms out wide, turned my face to the heavens and twirled.  Spinning like an airplane, TJ copied me.  The water was cleansing and invigorating.  At 24 years of age, I had never felt so young.  I was a child again.  It was soul cleansing.  When the rain began to slow, we held hands and walked toward the house.  We stripped inside the door of our soaking clothes, with hair dripping down our backs we changed into dry clothes.  Grabbing a blanket, we wrapped up and snuggled.  For me, this is a moment that will last a lifetime, it's like the warm rain seared itself into my memory. 

12 comments:

  1. That's awesome, what a fun memory...I love the picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dancing in the rain and I love the imagery your descriptions made in my head. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cousin and his wife just moved to Yuma about a year ago! They're always so excited when they come back to Montana and have real weather lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the rain...we don't get it to much here!

    Blessings to you...thanks for stopping by and making my SIT's Day special!

    Lana @ www.ilovemy5kids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful memory!! I love the rain, and have danced many times. I think dancing in the rain is a staple, something everyone should experience at least once.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Falling rain smells so good and clean and fresh. I love it, even if it happens frequently. What a treat it must be if it doesn't rain that often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Its wonderful!!! Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifuly written! Life can be so beautiful some times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy SITS Saturday sharefest.
    I am SO loving this post. Especially since it speaks to one of my favorite things in the world: Rain. Why I am still living in Utah I am not sure, as we don't get near enough of it for my tastes, but I guess I should be counting my blessings that I don't live in Yuma Arizona. (I hate armpits.)
    Thanks for letting me stop by.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great memory!! Thanks for sharing this post!!

    Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear from you! Comments make my day, just please keep them uplifting and positive. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...