Thursday, January 31, 2013

January Funk



Sometimes January just feels downright oppressive.  It is dark and cold and I don't exercise like I should and sometimes I just feel trapped.  The darkness of the short days in January weigh heavy on me, like a burden on my back.  I don't understand it.  It is just as dark in December, but we have such wonderful things to which we look forward.

January is just January.  

I try to find the beauty of January, the snow covered ground, icicles, frosty tree branches, but the underlying factors or overlying factors are all still there.  I express gratitude for those beauties, but I still just feel sad.  My husband comes home from work and asks me why I am angry.  But, then I feel angry because after almost 24 years of marriage you would think he could read me and see that I'm not angry but sad.  He wants to know what he can do to fix it.  But is there anything one can do about January?

I am in a funk.  January is funky.

I am so looking forward to February.  Not that there is anything special about February for me.  We really have never celebrated Valentine's Day.  February is still dark and cold, but it is one month closer to Spring...one month closer to warmer days and more sunshine.  I have been trying to decorate for Valentine's Day despite the fact that I haven't in the past.  It is giving me something to anticipate.  Maybe it is time to change up our anti-Valentine's Day traditions.  Love and hearts and pinks and reds make me happy.  (so does chocolate)



5 comments:

  1. I think the lack of sun really affects everyone!! I have my blue therapy light from Amazon and really does make a difference!! You should check it out. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. I'm just glad January is done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you sister! I'm giving away a SAD Light Therapy lamp on my site this week. You should enter to win it! It makes a HUUUUUGE difference. Huge. But I do think it's a great idea to embrace anything fun and silly and colourful that you can during these grey months. I mean, why not, right? Hope Feb is less funky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel EXACTLY the same way about January. So cold and drab and dark. I'm really glad it's February---looking forward to planning gardens and feeling sunshine, so we're getting closer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually have a harder time with February than I do with January, because February is usually almost exactly like January but I'm already SO over it. I can take the overcast, gray, freezing for about a month and then by the time February hits I'm ready for sunshine and GREEN!

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear from you! Comments make my day, just please keep them uplifting and positive. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...