Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas Letters of the Past #2


In 2004, I wrote a personal Christmas experience down in story form for our Christmas letter. 

"One busy day during the Christmas season, I found myself hurriedly running from one store to another with three children in tow. The frenzy of the season and all of its activities were bearing down and had left me tired and exhausted. On one of our last stops, I quickly pushed passed the aisle of Christmas decorations, despite the protests of my children, so that I could soon return home. At that moment, I realized that my daughter was missing. A sudden surge of panic came over me, but as I turned to look for her, I heard her call out to me.

“Oh, Mommy,” she exclaimed “Look!”

There was my daughter standing before a light-up yard nativity scene. In the midst of busy shoppers pushing passed, she slowly knelt before the Baby Jesus. The shoppers, still passing by, did not even notice one small girl kneeling before the manger. I reverently watched as she looked on lovingly at the Baby and spoke quiet words to Him. It was as though time stopped for me that night. While the crowds thronged on through the store, there was only a mother, with tears in her eyes, whose heart swelled with love for her daughter and her Savior, and a little girl who took the time to stop, remember and admire the precious Christ child.

When she was through, Ladybug rose to her feet and walked back to join me. As she slipped her hand in mine and we turned to walk away, I said a silent prayer of gratitude to my Heavenly Father for this wonderful gift of a daughter and this sacred Christmas experience. I was reminded of a scripture in Isaiah 11:6 “…and a little child shall lead them.” With all the wisdom of a six year old, Ladybug led me by the hand that night out of a busy store and into a more Christ filled Christmas.
" ~Lisa Hamer~

I had submitted this to a magazine but was rejected.  Apparently it isn't magazine worthy.  Now I haven't done one since only quick notes in Christmas cards, writing on the back of pictures...Pretty basic, boring stuff..I hear the e-card is going to replace all our personal greetings.  It would have saved me all this Christmas letter fretting as well as the postage!

10 comments:

  1. I wonder which magazine.

    This is beautiful; obviously you are raising a tender hearted, spiritual child. She is following your example I'm sure. (Not that actual kneeling per se, but you know what I mean.) I'm sure mine would kneel to Santa.

    Thank you for sharing this moment with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good story. :) Isn't it a blessing to have the young ones in our lives to remind us of what really matters. The never seize to amaze me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely think it's magazine worthy! So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story is so touching and so like a child. They are so innocent and kind. Thank you for reminding that our Savior is the reason for this beautiful holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic story. We had once similar the other day. My in-laws to a life size Nativity with store mannequins and put it in the living room window. People drive by, looking at the light in the neighborhood and always pause to look. Last Sunday a man had to come in while we were there and comment how it was the favorite display of his entire family. Put the season in perspective.

    It sounds like your child is keeping the real reason in her heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this would be just perfect for the "Friend". Or you should turn it into a childrens book! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a touching story! It's too bad the magazine (the Ensign?) rejected it. I think it would have been perfect.

    Also, your profile quote? It's my favorite movie quote ever, pretty much!


    Happy Sat. SITS Sharefest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great story! I can't believe it got rejected...I'm going to copy it off and add it to my book of Christmas stories (if you don't mind?)

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear from you! Comments make my day, just please keep them uplifting and positive. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...