Friday, January 3, 2014

Growing and Branding {What is this thing?} and 10 Reasons Why I Won't


I've been doing a lot of reading on the internet on "branding" your blog.  I've been blogging since 2008 and my follower numbers just aren't growing as high as some people who have been blogging just as long.  What is this thing called branding?


  • Having something specific readers come for
  • Having an online identity, name, tagline, logo, etc
  • Consistent personality
  • Something that makes your blog different

Here are ten reasons why my blog will never be branded and grow:

  1. I will never monetize and take advertising.  Although I will do a review from time to time when something I think my readers might like is offered.
  2. I can't focus on just one topic.  I might blog some home decorating, craft, spiritual thoughts, funny experiences, recipe, and/or family trip.  My blog is just as well rounded as I try to make my life.  I just can't make my blog one sided.
  3. I will never create a Facebook page for my blog.
  4. I don't get twitter, so I'll probably never use it.
  5. While I use pinterest, there isn't much pinterest worthy that I pin from my own blog.
  6. I participate in a few link ups, but I don't have a desire to aggressively participate or host.
  7. I know a lot of people follow blogs, just to try to get more followers without ever really reading the other persons blog...it's all about numbers.  Not so for me, if I follow you, I am reading what you have to say.  It is important to me and enriches my life somehow.
  8. I have and do write for several other sites, Pear Shaped Thoughts and MMB, but I haven't the time to search out other sites to contribute.
  9. I find the whole idea of pursing the blog growing and branding so impersonal.
  10. I write for me.  I hope that others will stumble across my blog, follow and share what they think is noteworthy either through google+, pinterest, or sharing. 

Have you tried to "brand" your blog?  
What have you found successful?

Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. I'm a bit like this too. Although I do think of my blogs as a platform for what I hope will be further publishing, I don't play the game as well as I should. I too read the blogs I follow, at least most of the time (Or else, why follow? Numbers aren't all they are cracked up to be.) I feel like there are trends in the blogging world. A concept works for someone and they write about it than the crowd stampedes to imitate their tactics until the next trend emerges, then we all stampeded to imitate the newest and latest trend. Bah-- at some point, as you are doing, you just have to follow your heart, and really, maybe that was always the key to their success anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts. Just continue to be sincere and be who you are. People love that.

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear from you! Comments make my day, just please keep them uplifting and positive. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...