Monday, December 26, 2011

Today I'm Flipping the Bird




I know what your thinking, and you're wrong.  I'm not flipping the angry birds, I'm just flipping the bird on this holiday.  Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas.  I truly do...I love our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, getting together with family and all the treats.  But everything has become so ostentatious over the years.  I have such high expectations for myself and I never measure up.

When I was growing up, my mom put on the most magical Christmases.  The decorations, beautiful treats and goodies, gorgeous wrapped packages...Ahhh!!!!  She was the quintessential Martha Stewart of Christmases.  She worked really hard to create perfect memories for our childhood.    But that's the problem....Everything was perfect, and what ended up happening was I create unrealistic expectations for myself.  I often feel like Clark Griswald in Christmas Vacation.  What I probably didn't realize is the sleepless nights my mom stayed up making those gorgeous decorations and treats, I like my sleep.  She also didn't work outside the home, I do...So I know all this, but I still feel like I am never good enough.  

I read once on a Mormon Mommy Site that this one family gave each child three gifts to represent the three gifts of the wise men.  No over the top gift giving, no day long present orgy.  Just several precious gifts.  I tried that this year with my kids...And you know what?  They were happy!  They didn't feel slighted in the least.  I didn't spend endless hours making treats.  We had birthday cake for Jesus, went to Church and then hung out in Jammies all day...And Christmas dinner?  Potato Soup, rolls and salad.  

So I am flipping the bird on Christmas traditions and making my own carefree, no expectations Christmas...And I think my daughter will thank me...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always happy to hear from you! Comments make my day, just please keep them uplifting and positive. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...